Process: How to join the Sierra Leone Teachers’ Union
- Anyone who is regularly and actively engaged as a teacher, school leader or lecturer in public or private educational institutions is eligible for membership of the SLTU, including teachers on study leave, retired teachers and anyone associated with teaching who wishes to be a member.
- The SLTU has offices at national, regional, district/zone and branch level, and is represented at schools by a teacher. Official representatives are selected by the SLTU’s National Executive Committee. Most representatives are
- Prospective members are required to complete a membership form and submit it to their nearest SLTU office/representative. Members must register using their full name, ID number and other details.
- The National Executive Committee has the power to reject or cancel any individual membership whose professional conduct is considered to be unsatisfactory.
- A person declared ineligible by the National Executive Committee remains ineligible until the National Executive Committee decides to admit or re-admit the person as a member. This does not interfere with his/her rights.
- To be a member and enjoy the benefits/ privileges of the Union, the individual must pay their subscription fee and fulfil conditions and obligations.